Friday, November 9, 2012

Here we go!

First posts always intimidate me...how to begin?? Hmmm...

Back in November 2009 Nathan and I felt that the Lord wanted us to start a family. We had no idea what we were in store for. Long story short- we found out we were pregnant (01/2010), kept it quiet until we had our first ultrasound, March 1st, 2010. Twins. So began the journey as a family of four. The kids are now 2 years old. What now? More kids? Are we done? We have been earnestly seeking the Lord for awhile now asking Him the same questions. Nathan and I were not united for some time..I won't go into all the specifics of what that looked like, but we were praying for unity...whatever that looked like, I wanted to be obedient to the Lord and submit to my husband.

Adoption has been popping up in my heart for about a year now. I can't exactly remember why. I think some of it had to do with the book Radical, some of it had to do with the orphans I spent a short time with in the Philippines way back in high school. And it's funny how the Lord brings up things in your life. Suddenly a lot of people are adopting. Our church is focusing on orphans in various ways. Scripture I've read a million times stands out to me in a new way. The Lord was working in both our hearts is really what I can tell you.

We prayed. We fasted. We felt like the Lord was not giving us a clear answer. We were frustrated. But we decided while we waited, we were to seek counsel and collect information on adoption. We attended a conference last Saturday- Heart for the Fatherless. I can say with a joyful heart that since that conference- we are united in the decision to pursue adoption.

Get excited...but don't get too excited yet. This won't be happening tomorrow, or next month. We aren't really sure when, or how. That's where we need our family, friends, and church body right now. We covet your prayers. We have come up with 7 specific prayer requests about the future of our family...we would be honored if you would pray with us.



 I'd like to explain a few things:
Bigger house- we know we could make a bigger family work with our current house. But if the Lord chooses to grant us a bigger home in this process- to Him be the glory!
Timing- we don't know when to start this process. We are thinking when the kids are 3...but we just aren't sure.
Boy/girl twins- we are not crazy. This is where our hearts are. We love having twins, they are such a blessing and we know the Lord gave them to us for His purpose. We know this would be a miracle to find boy/girl twins at the appropriate age. We serve a big God. If this is what He has for us, we would love that.

I'd don't know how often I'll update this blog, but I know I enjoy reading other families journeys through adoption...I hope we can offer that to others one day. Also, we want everyone to witness the Lord's power and provision through this process...this is one way we think you can rejoice with us.

Seatbelts buckled? Good. Here we go....

JRS

5 comments:

  1. Well, Jamie, I will be very happy to share this journey and our experiences together! Aaron and I both felt called to adoption 5 years ago and have waited on it but both now feel ready to move forward! I loved seeing your specific prayer requests because those (except the house and twins part :)are exactly what we are praying for as well. Choosing an agency, right timing, biological kids, finding the right orphans for us.... So many questions, but Got is good and I know He wouldn't call us to this if He didn't want to wow us with this! I will pray for you, if you pray for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to read about your journey with this! Bryan and I have been tossing the idea of adoption around for the past year, ever since we found out Ari's condition is genetic. We haven't started seriously pursuing it yet, but it's definitely something that is pressing on my heart and I know Bryan greatly desires to have another child to share our lives with. We'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I will be praying for you guys! Adoption has been on our heart(s) for a long time and very real and only way to grow our family since May 2011. We are in the waiting for a clear answer from God and how we wants us to proceed. Prayers and blessing on you guys as you walk through this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the loving comments friends! We will be praying for your journeys as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayed for you guys! What an exciting road to travel on in obedience to the Holy Spirit. I'm excited to see the many ways God will use this for his glory!

    ReplyDelete